Ad customizers are a very powerful tool that lets you customize the text content of your responsive search ads using dynamic text placeholders.
There are two steps for creating an ad customizer for responsive search ads:
Create the customizer attribute.
The customizer attribute is a broad category that should describe the kind of change you intend to link to this customizer. For example, "product price" or "discount percent". The specific values for these customizers will be set up in the next step.
Link the customizer attribute with a customer, campaign, ad group, or keyword ad group criterion.
This is the step where you set the specific values you'll use for that specific resource.
Create a customizer attribute
- The name of the customizer, which must be unique (case insensitive). Since there is a limit of 40 customizers, you may need to reuse customizers across different resources, so be sure to choose a name that represents a broad category of what kind of customizations this will be used for.
- The type of the customizer (text, number, price or percent), which is defined
When you create a new customizer attribute, you will get its resource name back, which is required in the next step.
Link the customizer attribute
You can link the previously created customizer attribute at many levels using the following services:
Regardless of which level you want and which corresponding service you use, the same pieces of information are required:
- The resource name of the customizer attribute that you created in the previous step.
The value that you want to insert into your ads when you reference this customizer attribute. This field is defined by
You need to specify
typeshould be the same as the customizer attribute you're linking.
string_valueis the value that you want the Google Ads API to use.
- Resource name of the resource you want to link the customizer attribute to.
Once you finish this step, you're ready to use the ad customizer in responsive
search ads that are included in the resource hierarchy you linked the
customizer attribute to. For instance, if you link the customizer attribute to
the campaign with an ID
A, you can use that ad customizer in an ad created
under any ad groups inside campaign
A. You cannot use the ad customizer in an
ad under ad groups inside campaign
Ad customizers in responsive search ads
To use the ad customizer in headlines and description of the responsive
search ads, you need to create an
text including the following syntax:
nameof the customizer attribute that you set in this step, not the resource name of the customizer attribute nor its ID.
DEFAULT_VALUEis the default value for the ad customizer.
Visit the responsive search ads guide for more information about setting up those ads.
Rules and limitations
There can only be one link per level (customer, campaign, ad group, or ad group criterion), and the most specific one will override the more general one. For example, if you have this customizer attribute defined at the campaign level and the ad group level, then ads within the linked ad group will use the ad group one, but ads from other ad groups in that campaign will use the campaign one.
You can have up to 40 enabled
CustomizerAttributeobjects in your account. If you reach this limit, you need to remove the unused ones before creating a new one.
There are rules for customizer attributes with type
- The currency codes and symbols that can be used as part of the specified value can be found in this list.
- The currency codes and symbols can appear before or after the number. For
100USDare all valid values.
- There should be no spaces between the number and the currency
codes/symbols. For example,
$ 100is invalid.