The Places SDK for Android allows you to build location-aware apps that respond contextually to the local businesses and other places near the user's device. This means you can build rich apps based on places that mean something to the user, to complement the straightforward geographic-based services offered by the Android location services.
The following interfaces provide the primary entry points to the Places SDK for Android:
Placesprovides programmatic access to Google's database of local place and business information, as well as the device's current place.
Autocompleteprovides pre-made widgets to return place predictions in response to user search queries.
A place is defined as a physical space that has a name. Another way
of thinking about a place is that it's anything you can find on a map.
Examples include local businesses, points of interest, and geographic
locations. In the API, a place is represented by the
interface. It includes information such as the name of the place and its
address, geographical location, place ID, phone number, place type, website
URL, and more.
Choose your version of the SDK
Places SDK for Android version 3.3.0 supports two SDK versions: the existing Places SDK for Android and Places SDK for Android (New), the next generation version of the SDK.
Your first task is to decide which SDK to use. This is true if you are a new customer or an existing customer already using the SDK. To learn the key differences between the two SDK versions, see Choose your SDK version.
Pricing for each SDK version
Your chosen version of the SDK controls pricing for Place Details, Text Search, and Place Photos. Places SDK for Android (New) supports a simplified pricing model so that you only pay for the data that you use. For detailed pricing information for both SDKs, see Usage and Billing.
Help your customers explore where they are and what's around them:
- Place Autocomplete automatically fills in the name and/or address of a place as users type.
- Current Place returns a list of places where the user’s device is last known to be located along with an indication of the relative likelihood for each place.
- Place Details return and display more detailed information about a place.
- Text Search returns places based on a search text string. Text Search is part of Places SDK for Android (New).
- Place Photos returns high-quality images of a place.
- Place IDs store the unique ID for one or more places for retrieval of place information on demand.