- The Driver SDK is a library that you integrate into your driver app. It is responsible for updating the Fleet Engine with the driver’s location, route, distance remaining, and ETA. It also integrates with the Navigation SDK, which provides turn-by-turn navigation instructions for the driver. For more information, see Navigation with Google Maps.
The following diagram shows the relationship between these components:
Delivery vehicles and tasks
Creating a Fleet Performance application to model the pickup and delivery of shipments involves:
- The delivery vehicle used to transport the shipment.
- The shipment pickup and delivery tasks.
Delivery vehicles transport shipments from a depot to a delivery location, and from a pickup location to the depot. In certain cases, they may also transport a shipment directly from the pickup location to the delivery location.
Each vehicle has tasks assigned to it. These can include pickup or delivery tasks, required breaks for drivers, or scheduled stops at drop boxes or other locations. Each task must have a unique task ID, but may share the same tracking ID. The tasks and the order in which they are scheduled are used to calculate ETAs for each task.
Shipment tasks are related to the pickup or the dropoff of the shipment. You must specify a tracking number or ID when you create a shipment task. You must also specify a dwell time to account for additional time to complete the task, look for parking, or walk to the handoff location.
- Create a pickup task for picking up a shipment, specifying the pickup location and tracking number or ID.
- Create a delivery task for delivering a shipment, specifying the delivery location and tracking number or ID.
You can also create an unavailability task for a time period when the vehicle will not be available for pickups or deliveries, and scheduled stop tasks to model stops to be made by a delivery vehicle. However, you can't assign a tracking_id to an unavailability task or scheduled stop. As a result, you can't directly perform fleet tracking on an unavailability task or scheduled stop.
The following sequence diagram shows the typical fleet tracking flow.