If you're new to Apps Script, you can learn the basics using our Fundamentals of Apps Script with Google Sheets codelab playlist.
This playlist consists of a set of sequential codelabs. Each codelab is a guided tutorial that gives you step-by-step instructions on how to build an example script application. If you need to take a break, you can pick up the codelab later, right where you left off.
The codelabs in this playlist focus on using Apps Script with Google Sheets. The Spreadsheet service is one of the largest and most popular built-in services in Apps Script, and this playlist familiarizes you with its content and use.
The playlist covers many Apps Script concepts, including the following:
- Using the Apps Script in-browser editor.
- Creating and editing Google Sheets macros.
- Creating Google Sheets custom functions.
- Importing data into Google Sheets.
- Adding, editing, and formatting Google Sheets data with Apps Script.
- Creating charts and exporting them to Google Slides.
- Fetching data from third-party API services.
- Creating menus and dialog windows in Google Sheets.
Before you start
You don't need any previous knowledge about Apps Script to complete this playlist. However, the playlist does assume you have some basic familiarity with Google Sheets and A1 notation.
Every part of these codelabs is conducted inside your browser, so you don't need any special software to finish them.
You can start the playlist with the links below. Each codelab provides step-by-step instructions to guide you through the lesson. Once you finish a codelab, you can move on to the next one in the list. Start with the first codelab, "Fundamentals of Apps Script with Google Sheets #1: Macros & Custom Functions".
Here's the Apps Script Fundamentals playlist:
- Fundamentals of Apps Script with Google Sheets #1: Macros & Custom Functions
- Fundamentals of Apps Script with Google Sheets #2: Spreadsheets, Sheets, and Ranges
- Fundamentals of Apps Script with Google Sheets #3: Working with Data
- Fundamentals of Apps Script with Google Sheets #4: Data Formatting
- Fundamentals of Apps Script with Google Sheets #5: Chart and Present Data in Slides