There is some overlap in what you can do with the Google Forms API and the Forms Service on Apps Script. This guide covers similarities and differences to help you decide which is best for your project.
Supported Forms features
Both the REST API and the Forms Service on Apps Script support Forms features that the other does not. Because the exact list of supported features changes over time, please explore the rest of the documentation to find out whether a particular feature is currently supported.
However, certain features are unlikely to ever be supported, as described below.
The REST API does not plan to support:
- Submitting form responses
- Including detailed form or response data in the body of pub/sub notifications
The Forms Service on Apps Script does not plan to support:
- Subscribing to form events with Cloud Pub/Sub
- Setting correct answers for question types that are not multiple choice
Request a new REST API feature
The REST API is newer than the Forms Service on Apps Script and new features are added regularly. Please file a feature request if you would like to see a certain feature prioritized.
Prefer the REST API’s
- Maximum reliability
- Interoperability with Cloud Pub/Sub
- Notifications when forms are edited
Prefer Apps Script triggers for:
- Form or response data included with each notification
- Time-based triggers
Apps Script and the Forms API have different service limits.
Languages and environments
Use the REST API from Apps Script
If you prefer the Apps Script development environment but want to use Forms
REST API features, you can do so using
UrlFetchApp. For more information, see
Set up an Apps Script project.