Apple requires that developers publishing apps on the App Store disclose certain information regarding their apps' data use. Apple has announced that these disclosures will be required for new apps and app updates starting December 8, 2020. This guide explains the IMA SDK's data collection practices as of 4.3.2, to make it easier for Interactive Media Ads developers to answer the questions in App Store Connect.
To improve the performance of Interactive Media Ads, the IMA SDK may collect certain information from apps, including:
- IP address, which may be used to estimate the general location of a device.
- Non-user related crash logs, which may be used to diagnose problems and improve the SDK. Diagnostic information may also be used for advertising and analytics purposes.
- User-associated performance data such as app launch time, hang rate, or energy usage, which may be used to evaluate user behavior, understand the effectiveness of existing product features, and plan new features. Performance data may also be used for displaying ads, including sharing with other entities that display ads.
- A Device ID such as the device's advertising identifier or other app-bounded device identifiers, which may be used for the purpose of third-party advertising and analytics.
- Advertising data, such as advertisements the user has seen, may be used to power analytics and advertising features.
- Other user product interactions like app launch taps, and interaction information, like video views, may be used to improve advertising performance.
If you are using any optional product features that involve additional data (such as advance reporting) or participating in any tests of new product features that involve additional data, be sure to check if those features or tests require additional data disclosures.
If you are using a prior version of the IMA SDK, consider updating to the latest version to ensure your app's disclosures are accurate. The IMA SDK will continue to be updated over time. This article will reflect these changes, so make sure to check back and update your disclosures as necessary.